Wednesday, December 29, 2010

News From The Front

Convenient, but the data roaming fees are a bitch
Aaaah life on the road! Now partnered up with my good buddy and famous singer songwriter Shwa, I have a renewed sense of travel lust and adventure. Finally around another English speaker with a twisted sense of humor and little to no sense of propriety, the jokes and the Tiger beer have flown freely. Amazingly though, I've had almost no contact with internets capable technology in like a week.  And you know what? I haven't missed it.

Sure, my fantasy football team tanked in the finals, resulting in another year of bragging rights for my d-bag friends who beat me in fake sports. And of course, I've failed miserably to keep in touch with my brother Mike who along with his wifey wife Anna recently gave birth to my newly circumcised nephew Noah. But worst of all I've forsaken you, my darling blog followers.

For this I feel great shame...but to be totally honest I really don't miss feeling constantly connected. I tossed the b-berry when I crapped all over my career and left Big Law, and as a money saving measure I put my iPhone contract on hold whilst in Asia. This leaves me with zero in terms of mobile access points. Since I left the desk a week or so ago, without actively seeking out an internet cafe I'm flying without a net out here. You guys, it's totally awesome. At first I missed being able to check on HuffPo every thirteen minutes to see my favorite pop politics goings-on and I was a bit salty about missing football for the last two weeks, but the country is still in free fall and the Jets still blow even without me keeping my watchful Firefox vigil.

There are some drawbacks though. Productivity is waaaaay down. Like zero. Basically the most constructive thing I've done in the past seven days was flirt awkwardly with four American school teachers working in Korea, and to be entirely fair Shwa actually did most of the heavy lifting to set me up the whole time. Since I really don't know when I'll be forcing myself to set aside the twenty minutes of sobriety and focus to get another post up in the next few days, I'd at least like to wish everyone a slightly belated merry xmas and a slightly premature happy new years! For all of you still tied to a desk or at least somewhat engaged in reality (unlike myself), do yourself a favor and shut off your phones for your annular booze fest. Toss your blackberries onto the yule log and stand the f back, cause those fumes, much like work/life balance, is sure to be toxic. Even if it's only for 12 hours or so, I hope you all get to chill chill like I have been for the past few days.

1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear you're getting an honest, real break. It does wonders for the self. Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete