Friday, November 12, 2010

Jakarta Be Kidding Me!

"We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment." Hilaire Belloc

Holy crap, I've spent six weeks in Sri Lanka!  I know, I had to double check the calendar also to make sure it was for truesies. So far I've soared to incredible new heights of productivity, almost exclusively owing to my new found sobriety.  I've tried all sorts of strange new foods, almost all of them curried.  And just yesterday I got ambushed by a massive water monitor who crawled out of the sewer during the last rainstorm. But I've done almost no actual touring of the countryside! WTF!

All of that changes next week.  I've planned out a delightful 5 day excursion starting in a temptingly misleading town by the name of Kandy and then circling through the ancient cities in the North.  Pictures will be taken, bicycles rented, memories made. Sadly because of my schedule, I realized I'm only going to get to take maybe two more actual trips around the island to see more of Sri Lanka. I hate this part of traveling - knowing that you only have x many days to get to y many locations. It's oddly reminiscent of the logic games on the LSAT, except that if you screw this up you end up stuck with third class tickets and racing the clock to catch your flight. I can't possibly make it to the beaches out East and to the tea country.  And there's definitely no way I'm going to make it to any of the surrounding countries like Indonesia or the Maldives.

But you know, I'm not too broken up about that...I've been saving Indonesia.  It's a weird approach to travel, but I don't know a single person that isn't saving some special destination for the right time to go. Everyone wants to see Paris, but most people don't want to end up spending 12 hours there on a layover and then calling it a visit. It's your first time in a new country, you want it to be...ya know... special. I was asked a couple weeks ago why I was saving Indonesia specifically. Simple - I always pictured a honeymoon in Bali.  No, I don't have a girlfriend and there aren't even available women in my country, but that's not the point.  I have some romantic vision that at least one of my honeymoon's is going to be at an awesome glass floored luxury beach villa in Bali.  Unfortunately my absolute lack of originality was pointed out to me by my little brother Jon, for when I visited him down at school a month or so ago said that he too was saving Bali for his honeymoon...the race is on bucko.

Even now when I'm so close to Indonesia, I don't want to spoil the awesomeness of my imagined post-nuptial evenings in the Lesser Sundas.  I started to think about why it was so important for me to save a destination - shouldn't you go somewhere amazing if you get the chance? Hell, I'm an 'eat dessert first' kinda guy, why over think things? Still though I can't help but feel that part of exotic travel is the romance of the trip, and when you build that image up in your mind it's hard to change it.  Bali is supposed to be champagne and caviar...not hostels and street sambal. I don't just want to tick off the box that I visited on a harried 36 hour weekend between work days...I want to really lose myself for weeks at a time on white-sand shores without having to drag around a backpack. And most of all I don't want to go by myself to an island paradise where I envisioned spending my honeymoon.  That's just soul crushing.

In trying something a bit different, I kick the mic over to you, dear readers.  Have you a special destination that you've been saving for a particular reason?  Have you avoided San Fran because you want to do a summer wine tour with your sweetie pie? Do you imagine the day you can trek into Tanzania with your siblings on a savanna adventure? Tell me about it! Post your anecdotes in the comments below. 

In order to incentivize participation, I will write a Shakespearean sonnet immortalizing in poetry the best comment that I get. And yes, I am absolutely serious.

3 comments:

  1. I don't want to burst your honeymoon bubble, but while Bali is paradise on Earth - it really is astonishingly wonderful - the beaches are... meh. The sand is sharp and rough, the surf will break your back, and there are reefs hiding all over, threatening to shred your shins to linguine. And the coast is lined with resort, after resort, after resort, stacked with loud, drunken Eastern Europeans on cheap all-included package deals. I suggest instead a honeymoon in a luxury hotel in the mountain town of Ubud, which drips with cultures, scenery and good food. I personally suggest the Uma Ubud Hotel, one of the best places I've ever, ever, ever stayed at. Ever! Bali is one of my favorite and most memorable destinations, minus the southern beaches...

    I am saving Peru. I've always wanted to go to Peru, I am dying to go to Peru, I need to go to Peru. But I want to have a big chunk of time to really experience and enjoy the place. Not just 10 days on a tight schedule. My plan is to one day go for a couple of months on a Spanish Immersion program, in Cuzco, and really dig my digits into the culture and the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know that I’d save an entire destination for a special reason or person. If opportunity knocked, and I was close by, I would seriously consider going to that new place on my own. However, I am saving an activity at a destination where I previously traveled. While in Venice in 2001 with a friend, I abstained from the gondola ride. I told my friend that I am saving that ride for a man with whom I am seriously involved. That activity is too romantic and cannot be experienced any other way. Until I find a gondola-worthy man who seriously floats my boat, I'll be a Venetian row boat virgin and proud of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am saving Mauritius, an island off the coast Eastern Africa, for an opportunity to travel there with someone who will appreciate the beauty and culture of the country as much as I think I will. The demographics are unique - a mixture of Indian, Chinese, African, French and English influences on the cuisine, the language and the culture. Plus it looks super duper romantic and is just a hop skip and jump away from the Maldives and/or Seychelles, where I guess would be an OK place to honeymoon. Is a month-long-newly-hitched-island-hopping vacation too much to expect from life?

    ReplyDelete